Tuesday 2 December 2014

Film Poster Drafts/Construction of my Film Poster

Film Poster Drafts:-
Below is three drafts of my film poster, by creating three drafts I was able to create three separate ideas in which I thought would be effective for my film poster. Each film poster included the conventions of a film poster such as the film title, protagonist character's name, release date as well as potential other characters included.
Focusing on the film poster of the protagonist on the motorbike: With the protagonist on the motorbike it conforms the conventions of an action thriller film in two aspects. One aspect being that in action thriller films the protagonist character is predominately a good looking male which will appeal to the target audience. As well as the second aspect being him on a motorcycle which follows the conventions of an action thriller film due to the fact that fast paced vehicles are a conventions of an action thriller film as well.
Looking at the film poster in the middle: By having the main focus of the film poster as the protagonist character's face which takes up the whole space would appeal to my target audience as it will be a good looking male playing the protagonist character. As the protagonist character is predominately male in which play the protagonist character in action thriller films this follows the conventions of an action thriller film.
Focusing on the third poster draft: When creating this draft I got inspiration for the Fast and Furious 6 film trailer as they included all the characters on the film poster not just the protagonist character. By including all the characters from the film on the poster, it makes it clear to the audience who exactly in the film so it encourages them in some aspect to go and see the film more yet as the same time it also could give too much information away?
Below is my final draft for my film poster. From the feedback from my target audience I was able to get their opinion on my poster drafts and make sure I include everything they wanted in my final draft making sure that my appealed to my target audience in every aspect encouraging them to see the film. The film poster is one of the initial times in which my target audience will come to terms with the film therefore the poster needs to appeal to them and encourage them to see the film. The film title 'Obses' takes up the top quarter of the page, I decided to chose this font as the white marks on the black font imply a fast car riding and skidding on the road. Fast vehicles follows the conventions of an action thriller film. The release date being bold and in red attracts the audience more as this is when the film will be viewable to the target audience, the colour red symbolises danger yet love at the same time which could potentially imply to the target audience that a loved one has gone missing. By including a quote from the film "You take my girlfriend I take YOU" will be a memorable quote in which the target audience will remember when watching the film and a quote which will stick to the film for a long period of time. The inspiration for my film poster came from the successful films "Gone Girl" and "Taken" due to the fact "Gone Girl" film poster has the protagonist character as the main focus on the film poster so I decided to do the same but changing the image to my protagonist character featuring in my film played by Ricardo Vieira. The quote "You take my girlfriend I'll take YOU" implies that the protagonist character's girlfriend has been taken yet it creates an enigma for the target audience as they are still unaware of the storyline at this particular moment. The word "you" being in capital letters makes the word more important implying that the protagonist character is willing to fight the antagonist and potentially even kill him creating thrill for the target audience which inspiration comes from the film "Taken". As I was unable to draw the background of my film poster in great detail when showing my target audience I explained to them the background would be of the house in which is the main location in which the film is set so they would be aware of this.  


I was then  able to get feedback from my target audience in which they thought was effective in my film poster as well as what could be improved to appeal in more aspect to my target audience.



Construction of my Film Poster:-

After looking at the types of images included on film posters I decided that the main focus needed to be the protagonist "Ricky". Therefore I wanted to go with the idea that he took up the majority of the page. I wanted to make sure he was wearing the same costume in which he does in the film, making a clear link between all three products. I decided to take this image of him as it denotes Ricky looking down towards the floor which is a connotation that he is deep thinking in what he is going to do next in order to save his loved one "Chloe". The character of Ricky is a regressive male as the image shows his power, authority and that people are aware of him. Overall, this is the final image which I will edit on Photoshop for my final film poster. 


I started by editing the image of Ricardo Vieira making the brightness darker so it would look effective in comparison with the other colours on the poster, making the text "Obsess" in red as this is the most important text on the poster. With the word "Obsess" being in red, it connotes anger, danger, energy, strength, determination as well as passion and love. In some aspect the connotations of the colour red sums up the narrative of the film. The narrative of the film is emphasised by the tag line "They took his girlfriend. Now he takes them" which again creates an enigma for the film. I have also included scenes from the film on the right hand side as it allows an insight into the film for the film encouraging the audience to go and see "Obsess". Ultimately, this is the main reason for a film poster to help promote the film for long term success. Over the next couple of days I will add the credit block to my film poster as this is the last thing I need to do until my film poster is complete.




No comments:

Post a Comment